Despite lingering discrimination concerns, the NCAA announced Tuesday morning that it will consider North Carolina’s bids to host future NCAA championship events. The organization also said 2017-18 championships previously awarded to North Carolina will remain in the state. In a news release, the NCAA said: “A majority on the NCAA Board of Governors reluctantly voted to allow consideration of championship bids in North Carolina by our committees that are presently meeting.” The organization said the new law repealing House Bill 2 has “minimally achieved a situation where we believe NCAA championships may be conducted in a nondiscriminatory environment.” An announcement of all championship sites is expected to be made April 18.
The North Carolina Sports Association estimated more than $250 million in potential losses from 130 event bids submitted to the NCAA, the Associated Press reported. HB2 required people to use restrooms of their birth sex, prompting the NCAA to pull seven events from the state in September for the 2016-17 season, including men’s basketball tournament games from Greensboro. Duke University’s second round loss to the University of South Carolina at the Greenville, South Carolina, host site prompted further HB2 discussion. The NCAA’s March 30 deadline added pressure for state lawmakers to repeal the controversial bill.
Though the NCAA is an influential sports organization, others will be making key decisions in the near future. On Thursday, the NBA Board of Governors will discuss whether to bring its all-star game to Charlotte in 2019, WSOC-TV reported. On March 31, the day after HB2 was repealed, the Atlantic Cost Conference announced it would reconsider hosting its championships in North Carolina.